Thursday, May 19, 2011

First Bloom for Belvedere

This is the first bloom for Belvedere, and I am very pleased with it!  It's growing in a pot until it gets bigger and strong enough to be planted in the garden.  I bought several roses from mail order nurseries this year.  These roses are propagated from cuttings that develop their own roots instead of being grafted onto rootstock.  Own root roses are purported to be stronger and more prolific bloomers.  They are often grown and shipped in "bands" which is a small plastic pot about 3"x3"x8".  When the plants arrive they are often under 12" tall and can be spindly looking.  The first time I got one of these bands in the mail, I thought "I paid $15 for this?!?", but in time it grew into a healthy mature bush.  Belvedere has certainly proven itself to be worth the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment